Thursday, August 13, 2009

First 4 weeks in Indonesia

Hi everyone!
What an awesome God we serve! I am in the process of finishing up my first 3 weeks of school. I am having so much fun getting to know my students, while teaching English and World History. Bandung, continues to be a wonderful place to live. I am very thankful that I am a hard sleeper so that I am not woken up by the 4am Muslim prayer calls, although I do hear them throughout the day, it is like a reminder to me that I need to pray more often, and to take time then to pray for a few minutes. I am still learning where things are, but everyday it gets easier. We are blessed to live in an amazingly large house, but like I said before that I am still in Indonesia, so we never know when we are going to have water or not. We are hoping the school will soon find out why we keep losing water and why the electrical outlits have a mind of their own. We(my roommate and I) just keep reminding ourselves, how awesome God and this too will pass and we try not to dwell on it too much.
This past weekend, I was in Singapore getting my working visa finally. I am so thankful that it finally came through, and we were able to enjoy Singapore for the weekend. Singapore is so beautiful and clean. Shannon and I took a tour of the city that included Sentosa Island, and the Singapore flyer(world's largest Farris Wheel, with an awesome view of the city). It is a lot more expensive than Indonesia, but we had a great time and we were able to hang out with one of my friends from Seoul who now lives in Singapore. I will try to post some pictures of Singapore soon.
In about 5 weeks, I will be heading to Bangalore, India for a mission trip. I have two weeks off from school for Ramadan. I will be meeting a friend from Shanghai who is going to give vaccinations and we are going to be teaching the kids new songs and sign language to go with the songs. Lara will leave after 5 days, but I will be staying for another week. I am not sure what I am going to be doing yet, but I know that God has it worked out, I may be doing an English camp in the afternoons, working with Widows in the village, or working with the village kids (untouchables). I am excited to see what God does during this time. He has made it very clear that this is where I have to be during my break, and I know that emotionally this is going to be a very difficult trip. Even though, it will be difficult it is through this that God teaches us so much. I know that it is one of those places that you go to and will never be the same, which excites me because I want God to continue to mold me so that I can better serve him.
I want to share a little about the school that I am working at. It is an International Christian school, but some of the students and teachers are Muslim, we also have students that are Hindu. Everyone is required to attend devotionals every morning and chapel on Friday's, as well as the students being required to take Bible. It is so neat to see students asking questions and to see how they respond when they are presented the gospel. The amazing thing is that the teachers that teach the Bible classes aren't afraid to tell it like it is and ask the difficult questions. I feel very blessed to be at my school, because it reaching students and teachers that might not otherwise be reached.

Please continue to continue to pray for me as my body adjust to the food and water (I have finally turned a corner and starting to feel better, but the first two weeks were awful). Also please pray for the students and teachers of MNIS and for the upcoming Mission trip to India that God's word will be preached and that seeds will be planted.
I will keep everyone posted and try to write more often.

Final note:
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Chirst Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment